Friday, October 8, 2010

In Which I Imagine I Attend a Wizarding School

First, a blog PSA: I've learned that some of you who are reading my exploits have been unfairly silenced by the default blog setting that privileges those with specific online identities.  In seeking a more liberating environment for us all, I've turned on Name/URL and anonymous commenting.  Thanks for reading, now you can say stuff too!

The wizarding school idea keeps floating around in my head.  Partially, because blog commenter Jona poked fun at me for distinguishing the grad students here as "first years" and "second years" just like in a certain British series about wizards, and partially because so much of what we do and say in English seems to require a certain amount of magical thinking.

Consider words.  We can break them down and discuss phonemes and morphemes and usages, we can consult the OED for history, and we can pretend that it makes sense that through simple arrangement, words take on vastly different meanings.  But it isn't a science.  People write dissertations on why a particular writer's choice of arranging and choosing words makes their work last for centuries, and yet there's no formula to it, otherwise we would utilize the formula and all of us would be brilliant writers.  But you ask any editor, and that arranging of words is more than just art, too, because if one does not follow certain established forms, you have a hot literary mess at the end.

So I like to pretend that it's magic.  Then, if I just choose the right combination of words, something wonderful will happen, suddenly and with seeming spontaneity, because I have cast my spell effectively.

In fact, I think that the link may be one that's ripe for fiction, because we've all seen stories about wizarding schools, but I'm not sure we've seen a story about the equivalent of wizarding grad students teaching wizardy freshmen.  And if it's anything like our experience with freshmen so far, the resulting rains of frogs and accidental transmutation of textbooks by people who couldn't bother to show up for all their lessons would make simply grading papers seem tame.

Yes, I have an overactive imagination.  I have to do something to amuse myself during office hours.

In other news, it's fall here.  It crept up on me, because I'm used to our section of about a week and a half of real autumn that separates summer and winter, and the season happens much more gently here.  But now there's grey sky, changing leaves, and chill wind, so I think it's safe to say we're well into the season.  Which is nice, because I love fall.

I'm sorry there are no adventure tales right now.  I really need to have some more adventures.  I'm open to suggestions!

5 comments:

  1. Raining frogs and transmutation accidents amidst a hot literary mess--I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rowan! Thanks for changing the settings. I was unable to post any smart-aleccomments up till now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly does seem like the kids in them wizarding books are a wee bit young to be wielding such powerful magicks. However, if the comparison between the homeschool class and freshman college classes has taught us anything, it's that age means nothing in smarts and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. go to the snowies
    go to the hot springs up in saratoga there before the range road closes and go to that observation point nd take in the view for us sunblasted hellhole dwellers
    ps mom says hi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a wizarding grad school. You could have the jaded hipster wizard, the know-it-all-because-I-already-have-three-advanced-degrees wizard, the too cool for school wizard, the midlife crisis wizard, the I am a Poet with a capital P wizard... And they'd be all jaded and pretentious and speak in academic wizardese. I only wish I'd been able to read this back when I was still at my MA program... Some of those seminars would have been so much better if I'd been able to imagine my colleagues as HP characters...

    ReplyDelete