Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Tale of Two Kitties

The last week was full of school.  This shouldn't be surprising, I know.  That's kind of where I am.  But it was distinctly full of school in time-consuming ways, and so I really didn't have time for adventures.  And that's always a little sad.

And that's also why this entry will be short.  I want everyone to know I'm alive and kicking, but other than existential crises over grading, there's not a whole lot to share.  Instead, let me introduce my cats (I'm not a crazy cat lady, I swear, but they are the only other living beings in the house, so they deserve some attention).

My cats are just over a year old, and therefore, they are giant brats.  They're indoor cats too, so they can't go outside to get their ya-yas out.  Instead, they do it by tearing around the house as if the devil himself is at their heels, hunting my paint brushes, and generally behaving like... well, animals.

The tabby is Buster, and the black one is Sabriel.
This is what they look like after a long hard day
of being total freaks.
Among their best achievements are such diverse acts of mayhem as spreading broken glass around the house, hiding my sink strainer, and flooding my basement.  Yeah, that's right.  Cats flooded my basement.

See, I have the old-school washer setup where the drain hose goes to a drain in the middle of the floor in the basement.  It's not hooked in there, which is a bit of a problem.  A couple weeks ago, I was doing laundry, and unknown to me, the cats had managed to unseat the basement hose from its drain enough to put a foam ball toy into the drain, a toy that was exactly the right size to block it off.  Whenever they have done something particularly heinous, they both sit side by side with their heads tilted slightly, admiring their handiwork.  I knew I was in trouble when I saw them in this pose at the top of the steps.  About half an inch of soapy water had drained out onto my basement floor.

And they were so freaking proud.

But they are furry and they purr, and so far, that's been enough to allow them to live and not be turned into fuzzy slippers.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, yes, they are total brats.

    But they are also FREAKING CUTE!

    And they like James Marsters reading Harry Dresden. So they must be pretty good kitties after all.

    I see that Sabriel is just as difficult to photograph as Spike is. :P

    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAW! Spooning! Xander and Willow used to spoon. Before The Invasion. And pre-Europe-breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say-- animals will be animals....but cats seem to be able to PLOT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG you named your cat Sabriel... I love it!

    ReplyDelete