Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fighting With the Kitchen

I always wonder when I will learn not to make certain stupid moves when something in my forebrain is trying desperately to tell my hindbrain that I'm about to make a stupid move. It started because my landlord uncle was coming to town to deal with the washer/dryer repairman, and to bring his new dog to enjoy the prairie. I was trying to clean up. In doing so, I put away a colander. This shouldn't have been an issue. But that's where the stupid moves come in.

The colander had been in that little drawer that's on the bottom of the stove. My family, in helping me unpack, had put some various pots and pans in there, and so when I was cleaning, I put the colander back. Obviously, they put it there the first time, I should put it back, right? I felt a funny little pressure as I pushed the drawer back in. I checked to see if I was bumping something, and I wasn't, so despite the part of my brain that was going "You know that will get stuck," some overbearing piece of me was also saying "It was in there before, of course it will go in there again." So I pushed the drawer shut. Then, with the smaller voice still nagging me that it was a mistake, I opened the drawer again. About three inches. And that's as far as it would go, because whaddaya know, the colander was stuck. Turns out that the lip on the colander and the lip on the underside of the stove were deeply incompatible. I wrestled with it, screamed a little, bruised myself, and lost the fight. Everything was stuck tight.

So that's how I greeted my uncle, with my cleaning part done, with me bruised and defeated, and an oven drawer that opened three inches.

Luckily, Uncle David is a superhero, and although we had to buy extra tools to wage war on the thing, we finally got it all unwedged.

There followed other herculean tasks of household necessity, and while I am intensely grateful for the help, it sort of highlights how utterly useless I can be. Not to be put off, though, I have other projects to work on and look forward to, and hopefully the smart part of my brain will be in charge for some of those.

The rest of life is sort of routine at the moment. I teach my class and hope I'm doing it right, I do my own classwork until I find myself reading the same paragraph over and over and absorbing none of it, at which point I watch 30 Rock, and I am hoping to find some things to do out of the house, because it gets lonely here. And cold. I think something in my house sucks the heat away and puts it somewhere else.

3 comments:

  1. I find that happening to me, too. I think it's the intuitive part of our brains that say, hey, don't think about this, because if you do, you'll think it's a good idea, which it isn't. And then we cleverly logic it and end up knowing we shouldn't have.

    Yay 30 Rock!

    Things here are routine, too. You can get a lot done in a routine, but it does get lonely. We miss you.

    Hey, only 23 days until payday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get more used to doing the household stuff on your own. It's a learn-as-you-go sort of thing. Training by necessity.

    "I teach my class and hope I'm doing it right, I do my own classwork until I find myself reading the same paragraph over and over and absorbing none of it, at which point I watch 30 Rock..."

    *Totally* understand. 'cept I watch Dr. Who.

    Also, I'm kind of envying your coldness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I'll likely do things like that for the rest of my life. However, figuring out how to take cabinet doors off their hinges and such McGuyvering is helpful. Ick to the coldness! It's not even winter yet!!! Don't you freeze up there, because I will cry and miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete