Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Post to Show I'm Alive

 I have had sort of a stupid couple of weeks for a variety of reasons, and since I have no desire to blog about things that just make me sad, I've been quiet.  But I realize that people are probably wondering if I have been eaten by roving packs of philosophy majors or something, so here I am, writing a few words to prove that I am still somewhere in existence.

Folks, I admit it.  I have an addiction.  I really, really can't help myself.  Free samples in the mail.  As many as I can get.  Stuff I don't even know if I want.  If I can get it sent to me simply by virtue of an address and email, I'm there.  And I get pathetically excited about it too.  I open the mailbox and thrill to see some tiny colorful package that means someone has heard my plea for free crap.  I have a few standards, though.  I did not sign up for a year of Maxim magazine for free (though I think I might have blithely clicked through if it wasn't a two-step sign up process.  What?  Beside the point, people, I didn't and that's what counts) and I don't click on the free diaper sample links.  So I'm not totally crazy.

So despite my own dramas, I am slowly amassing a collection of free samples that I think I'll put in my office for times when I need two post-it file labels or a single dose of vitamins.

So there will be a real entry of some sort soon.  But that's what I've got for now.

PS-- I don't want to make a habit out of saying bad things about my students online as a matter of public record, but let me just say that if you have a young person in your life, please, please, please make sure they understand a few basic concepts like using commas to make a list and what the word "or" means.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I'll go to great lengths to AVOID getting free samples. The tide of junk mail is overwhelming enough already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole "or" controversy depends on what the definition of "is" is...

    Lol, I do love free samples too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should keep writing to amuse us, whether you have any new adventures or not. After all, your writing is funny, insightful, a little loopy, ,, okay, I've run out of adjectives for my list. mom

    ReplyDelete